Do you want to make your home really comfortable for the upcoming winter? If yes, then you are at the right place to find the latest home improvement ideas for winter. Let’s discuss five really good home improvement ideas that can not only make your winter more enjoyable but also will help you to save your money.
Seal All Air Leaks:
The most important home improvement ideas for winter you can implement is to seal all air leaks. You can locate these leaks around your windows, pipes, doors, ventilators. Close all these air leaks and seal the opening by waterproof sealant, weather stripping, electric tape, and caulk. You can get the benefits by sealing mentioned below.
- Lower Energy Consumption
- Lower Utility Control
- Resist Humidity Control
- Lessen the Chance of Ice Dame on the Ceiling
You should complete the sealing process just before the commence of the winter season. It is a DIY job and it will cost you less than 30$.
You can add insulation to all-around your home. This will also improve the energy efficiency of your home. Commence the process from the basement and attic. The best way to find gaps in all the air leaks is to turn on all the light in your room and look at corners around the doors and windows from outside in the darker stage of twilight.
Test Your Heating System and Smoke Detector:
You need to check all your furnace filters and the HVAC system before the commencement of winter. Some times you need to change or repair them. You must change, test, or repair your HVAC system more often than others if you have one of the following cases.
- our family size is larger and some members smoke.
- Your home/house is in a windy area and you use HVAC for six months a year.
- Your family member/members have any respiratory or allergic problems.
According to NFPA or National Fire Protection Association, around 70% of smoke alarm fails to respond to connection problems or dead batteries. Hence, you should replace the old battery in the smoke detector. You should also check the date of the battery of the smoke detector and replace it if the time of lithium battery has elapsed.
Give Your Wall a New Look:
Well, repainting your wall is not necessary to combat the winter condition but new wall color can lift your mood in winter. There are two improvements you can do to your wall paint. Those are
- Paint with the bright wall color. A bright color or colors like cheery shed can improve your mood in winter.
- While repainting your wall, use low-VOC, and eco-friendly paint. These paints release much less toxic fumes. Another benefit of using low-VOC paint is, this type of paint does not need outside air to bond with the wall. You just need to switch on your fan for a few hours.
Winter is the best time to do the painting because the applied paints dry out faster and bond quickly to the surface in this time for less moisture. You can decorate your wall with some wallpapers also. I can suggest you should consider having a look at nature’s picture wallpaper or 3D wallpaper to decor your walls.
One of the best among the home improvement ideas for winter is to give a new look by adding wainscoting. The DIY applying process of wainscoting is as follows.
- You don’t require expert carpentry skills as the wainscoting comes in panels.
- You need to take off the baseboards after buying wainscoting.
- Then cut each panel by the length required.
- Glue these panels with construction adhesive and nails.
Install Crown Molding in this winter:
The idea to install Crown Molding is one of the best home improvement ideas for winter as this not only gives a new look to your home but also envelops dings and nicks in your room. Manufactures make crown moldings with a width of a minimum of 3 inches and a maximum of around 20 inches. You can install these crown molding by yourself. All you need some basic skills to use simple paint, nail gun, miter saw to install crown molding.